Love Your Career Scholarship
***NOTE*** The deadline for the Fall (September) 2018 Scholarship has passed. Please see below for future deadlines. We are now reviewing each and every submission and hope to know who the selected recipient is by the end of the month. It will be announced right here and the winner will be notified by phone or email.
Scholarship opportunity for students looking to love their careers!
Make plans now to love your career. Scott Jones, founder of JonesTshirts.com is a firm believer in the importance of loving your career. It affects every aspect of your life. Your family can see a difference when they know that you don't dread going into work everyday. You're happier and those around you are happier. It's important to start thinking about this concept early, especially while in college.
Scott started in the T-shirt business while in high school. His brother taught him how to make tie-dye shirts and together they would take their goods to sell at Grateful Dead concerts in Las Vegas and California. 24 years later, JonesTshirts.com is a leading wholesale provider of blank T-shirts and apparel. Scott stuck with his passion of T-shirts and has made a full time career out of it. We want to hear about your passions and goals for the future! We want to know that there are others out there who share the goal of living the dream of loving what they do.
Who Can Apply?
Any student who will be enrolled in a college or University at the time of the next deadline (see dates below). This scholarship is limited to students attending school in the 50 U.S. states.
Winter 2019 Monday January 7, 2019
Fall 2019 Monday September 10, 2018
Please follow the essay and the submission requirements EXACTLY as outlined below to qualify for review. (Essays that ignore these requirements will be disqualified)
1) 1000 words or more.
2) At the top of your essay, write your full name, phone number, email address and the name of the school you will be attending.
3) Outline at least 3 steps that you plan to take in the next year to start a path towards having a career that you love. As you think of these steps, consider some of these ideas; What are your passions that could be turned into a career? What are some ideas you have for a business based on things that you love and are skilled at? We want to hear unique, well thought out ideas. Make us believers. Make us excited. Make your essay stand out!
4) Interview a professional in the field that you are looking into and that has at least 3 years of experience in that field.
Ask them at least 3 of the following questions and include the questions and answers as part of your essay.
What initially inspired you to pursue the industry that you are currently in?
What would be one important piece of advice for someone like me who is considering going into the field that you are in?
What was the biggest hurdle that you encountered when you were first getting started in this field and how did you overcome it?
What are some of the college courses that you took that had a lasting impact on your career?
What are some aspects about your career that you didn't know about or consider when you were starting out?
What are some things I should be spending my time doing now outside of school to help prepare me for a career in this field?
1) Essay must be in PDF format. No exceptions.
2) The file name of your PDF file must be your full name and the name of your school. For Example: Scott-Jones-BYU.pdf
3) Email your PDF file as well as a scanned copy of proof of enrollment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send as TWO separate attachments. Submissions with only 1 attachment will not be reviewed.
4) Copy and paste the following into your Subject line: Winter/JANUARY 2019 SCHOLARSHIP SUBMISSION
5) In the body of your email, please include your full name, phone number and the name of the school you are enrolled in.
Please follow the above steps carefully in order for you essay to be considered.
The recipient of the scholarship will be notified by email or phone within 2 to 4 weeks of the deadline.
Previous recipients of this scholarship:
Winter (January) 2018 Leo Shiner, Brown University in Providence, RI
Fall (September) 2017 Emily Blakowski, Wayne State University in Detroit, MI
Winter (January) 2017 Ashten Garrett, Johnson and Wales University in North Miami, FL
Fall (September) 2016 Jeremy Rios, Brigham Young University
Winter (January) 2016 Megan Wilks, University of Rhode Island, College of Pharmacy
Fall (September) 2015 Cliff Weitzman, Brown University
Winter (January) 2015 Katie Randall, University of Nevada, Reno
Fall (September) 2014 Kaythari Phon, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, CA
Winter (January) 2014 Hattie Jean Hayes, Arizona State University
Fall (September) 2013 Molly Bowes-Janzen, Arizona State University
Terms and Conditions
Eligibility - You must be a student enrolled in an accredited college or University located in the United States.
If you are applying for the winter scholarship, you must be enrolled for classes during that winter semester.
If you are applying for the fall scholarship, you must be enrolled for classes during that fall semester.
You must follow all of the essay requirements and submission requirements outlined above in order to qualify.
Submission Deadline - All submissions must be received by the dates listed above in order to qualify for the scholarship.
Choosing a Winner - All submissions will be reviewed and evaluated by our panel of judges. Credit will be given based on creativity, originality, passion etc. The winning essay will be announced within 2 to 4 weeks of the deadline. Upon verification of eligibility, the student will be notified by email or phone of their award. The student's approved school will then receive a one-time disbursement of $1,000 as a scholarship for the winning student. The student is responsible to ensure receipt of funds by the school and notify us if such is not the case within 60 days of the announcement.
NOTE: In the event that the student's school would prefer to have the award paid directly to the student as award money rather than being paid to the school as a scholarship, we will do so upon request.
JonesTshirts.com reserves the right to terminate this scholarship program at any time without any notice. This scholarship program is void where prohibited.